Whilst we were on Anglesey during the week to photograph Parys Mountain we stopped off at Llanfair PG or to give the village it’s proper name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch or for non Welsh speakers like me [St.] Mary’s Church (Llanfair) [in] the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyn gyll) near (go ger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrn drobwll) [and] the church of [St.] Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo[f] goch).
Personally I prefer Llanfair PG which is enough to distinguish this village from others that start with Llanfair, such as Llanfair TH (Llanfair Talhaiarn) which would you believe has a church dedicated to Mary.
Devised in the 1860’s to give the railway station the longest name in Britain, at 58 characters long it is now recognised officially as the longest place name in the United Kingdom and one of the longest in the world. It could be considered one of the earliest examples of a publicity stunt. Nowadays, visitors stop at the railway station to be photographed next to the station sign, visit the nearby Visitors’ Centre, or to stamp their ‘passport’ at the adjacent shop.
- Afternoon in Llanfair PG (adiaryofayounglady.wordpress.com)
- The longest place name in the world? (leggotunglei808.wordpress.com)
- Thoughts & Flowers: June 14th (adiaryofayounglady.wordpress.com)
- Angela Takes the Baton (buckshawwiblog.wordpress.com)
- The longest place name in the Isles (islesunite.wordpress.com)
- What is the World’s Longest Domain Name? (tvaraj.wordpress.com)
- on holiday in north wales xx (hopeandfaith2013.wordpress.com)